For some it has been a difficult year! As a new year approaches all business people must keep in mind their statutory obligations and seek to meet them.
When you are in business paying taxes is very much a part of the enterprise. However there are some obligations which you may have a tendency to forget:
- If you own an international business company please remember that the annual return must be filed by December 31, 2016
- If you are an International Business service provider you must renew your licence by the same date.
If you have a domestic (ordinary) company of any kind please remember that there is now an annual return to be filed with a penalty of $10.00 per day. There are some who might not have met this obligation in 2016. If so penalties would be accumulating so this needs to be addressed immediately.
- Penalties are now being enforced for failure to notify the corporate registry of any fundamental changes to the company.
- All those involved in certain businesses and professions such as lawyers, real estate agents and hairdressers must apply for a renewal of their licence by the end of January 2017.
- For those who are members of non-profit companies please remember that the requirement to file financial statements will now be enforced.
- Know Your Customer procedures for gate keepers are also being enforced. Gate keepers are not simply financial institutions but includes lawyers, accountants and real estate agents amongt others. Broadly speaking one must be conscious of ensuring that one is not a part of a larger money laundering, financial crime or terrorist scheme.